Monday, June 23, 2014

Introduction

Hello guys,

today I've had a small taste of cycling a longer distance, but perhaps it's better to introduce myself before getting down to business. I'll share more about my first +50 km bike-tour through Germany (Bavaria) in my next post.

Who am I and where do I come from?

I am a 24 year old man living in Germany (Regensburg). My father is Austrian and my mother is Dutch, which allows me to express myself fluently in these 2 languages (I can also speak English and a bit of French). I was born in the Netherlands (nearby Amsterdam) and have lived there the first 10 years of my life. Our family has moved to Belgium when I was 10 years old, and we have lived nearby Antwerp for another 12 years before moving to Regensburg. The reason for moving to Germany was because of a Bavarian girl (my current girlfriend), which I have met on the train from Amsterdam to Antwerp.

This short introduction makes it clear, that I am influenced by lots countries and therefore I feel rather European than anything else. If I had to choose though, I would be more inclined to call myself Dutch. For 22 years I have spoken Dutch and I identify myself the most with this country because of the laid-back, open and uncomplicated ways of (most) Dutch[wo]men.

What motivates me to travel through Europe per bike?

  1. The Netherlands is a country where not having a bicycle is about as strange as Germans not owning a driver's licence. I really love cycling and I do not think it is a sport. It is a mean of transportation like any other.
  2. Germany is not really a biking country, yet they have the nicest cycling routes. Cycle lanes in the city are nevertheless horrible in comparison to Dutch bike paths.
  3. I like nature, as it is relaxing and a good break from life in the city. It is easier to experience nature on a bicycle because of the relatively slow speed and the possibility to stop at any point, at any time (unlike driving by car, train or bus).
If you want to know more about me, I might answer your questions in the comments. I do not promise to answer your inquiries, but I'll try.

Tags: Planning Bicycle Tour Europe is easy, how to prepare for a Bike Trip through Europe, Bicycle equipment: what is needed, cycling lanes Germany. What should you consider when you buy a bike. How to buy the right bicycle?

No comments: